Friday, June 14, 2013

Status of New Version

I am working on a new version of Swords of Cydoria. This new version will incorporate several goals:

1) It will use its own custom system. I am 90% done with the writing the character generation and combat rules. Once its ready, I'll start play-testing and I will make the system available here for anyone to playtest and provide feedback.

2) It will incorporate some setting changes. Some of the changes are cosmetic, name changes to make things sound cooler. Some are more intrinsic.
  • the Oudh is no longer a force field, it is still a field surrounding Uruta but it is no longer keeping Rhakadians out. This allows me to have meteor storms and more smugglers. I will provide other reasons to explain why the Rhakadians don't just invade or bomb them from orbit.
  • I'm pushing the tech level forward a little bit to make the setting more dieselpunk.
  • I'm bringing aya to the forefront a little more, making them more common and fantastic.
  • I have completely re-written the Nazarians and the Xoog.
    • Nazarians are now Axarians
    • Xoog are now Xarian.
    • Zorin is now Xorin.
    • The Axarians are no longer human.
    • Xoog are no longer slave races. The Axarians are now four races divided into castes:
      • Yedrix, the thinkers and artists
      • Jinx, the servants and craftsmen
      • Orix, the warriors and guards
      • Brux, the laborers and heavy warriors
  • Several barbarian and non-human tribes are graduating to full-blown kingdoms with their own technology.
  • I am adding several new kingdoms.
  • Arus is now Eris.
  • Daka are now Dakazi.
  • The Dazumi Pirates are now the Sky-Pirates of Rakar.
  • Aero-ships are now called Zephyrs.
  • Zephyrium is now called Anemoi.
3) Another big change will be that of focus. I am focusing in on the frontier of Eris and adventuring there. The city-states are remote, distant. All the action will take place out on the borderlands.

4) The core book will be less than 100 pages. That's the hope anyway. I want to keep it small and focused. I can expand the focus in future sourcebooks (see my previous post about the ambitious plan). The focus will be on artifact hunters in the land of Eris.

5) The central location of the setting will be the Free Trade City of Ravaga, a wretched hive of scum and villainy. One part Mos Eisley, one part Las Vegas, one part Casablanca.

More updates are forthcoming, including rules excerpts!

No comments:

Post a Comment