Monday, February 25, 2013

Downton Abbey

The new adventure scenario I'm writing is a thrill-packed urban adventure filled with chases, evil snake cults, love, and betrayal, and heavily influenced by... Downton Abbey.

I'm not even kidding. I'm trying to infuse as much Downton Abbey style upstairs-downstairs intrigue as I can into the adventure. I'm watching the series on Netflix for inspiration (and am now quite hooked on it, I can assure you).

I'm also doing a lot of research on turn-of-the-twentieth-century English households to add an element of verisimilitude. Granted, the adventure begins in a high-rise penthouse apartment instead of a stately English manor house, but the same rules, the same hierarchy, and the same kinds of intra-house personal conflicts apply.

I'm kind of hoping this is the first RPG supplement to be inspired by Downton Abbey. If anyone can think of another, please let me know.

To this I am combining the art deco cityscape and class politics of  Fritz Lang's Metropolis, the evil secret foreign cults of  Young Sherlock Holmes, and the hedonistic decadence of Caligula or Eyes Wide Shut. I am shooting for a final result that is one part drawing room investigation, one part chase scene, one part dungeon-crawl, and one part James Bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment